Saturday, December 12, 2009

December

This past week the weather has been so very cold. A couple of mornings dipped down to 9 and 10 degrees F. (32 is freezing) Had to remind myself all the little details of such cold weather...

Made sure the well house was in order (freezing pipes are a real pain), make sure the chickens light was plugged in all is well (their faucet was not wrapped enough...faucet didn't drip...it froze..lost one churkin...I'm a bad farmer..), load up on firewood (got a future pharmacist for that).. Things were taken care of, more or less.

Ozzie ventured out onto the frozen pond. Sharon, as usual, a little too prissy to get her feet wet. You should've seen the lacy icicle patterns on the grass. It was beautiful.

Last week I went out to see Bambi. The herd she's been cownapped by followed me all the way back to my property, deftly maneuvering between me and Bambi. They seemed to stampede at times...on my heels. If I ran...they ran. So I tried to stop running, but really wanted to.. Got to the fence and finally got Bambi over where I could pet her. She nuzzled my coat (the one I wore when I bottle fed her as a baby) and I could see the recognition. She seemed to want to follow me but the herd kept cutting her off. One cow even growled...I've never heard a cow make a growl noise.

These are a different breed of cows for sure. The owner of the herd must've put off moving the cows because of the weather but has assured me he'll be bringing her home. I'm off Monday and Tuesday so that and wood cutting is the next project.

A funeral Monday, woodcutting, Randall and Cassie both flying home on Sunday YAY!, the ex and his girlfriend visiting, this will be a busy December. And then there's work..

I'll be doing my best to keep preoccupied from it all. :)



1 comment:

  1. I used to have a cat who would be off doing things like your one in the photo...still miss the wee scamp :)

    I'm actually hoping to be preoccupied in a new job soon..and also to develop some new interests oe'r the coming year ( or exploring new avenues for current interests )...

    I don't really expect to be blogging here again, so just wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas and a' the best for whatever 2010 may bring.

    ReplyDelete