Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Gone Fishing

I love the last couple of days schedule..off work in time to go fishing out at the big pond. She's usually SO excited just to go on the daily walk anyway! The minute I walk in the door after work she's running circles around me and when she sees me getting my gun and putting on the walking shoes she's an absolute mess of excited doberman! Running back and forth as I load up the fishing backpack, going back for something else, then again for something else (the anticipation just kills her!)

FINALLY heading out the door she bursts through chasing kittens and momma cat, then running to the chicken coop to bark through the wire in her usual show, the chickens and rooster fight back with their own pecks knowing she's a just a little drama queen, just letting them know their place while she heads out to the pond on a walk again :).. Racing ahead, over the levee, off on trails of scents left and right, stopping only to look back and make sure I'm still following.

She lives for this... :)

Me too.. :)

Walking past the 100 year old pear tree (at least) that made it through the drought and harsh summer (which was not as lucky as the big willow tree over the chicken coop..but that's another story)

We walk on, watching the sun still high enough to promise a little more light to fish by, a few early monarchs (a sign of an early winter I'm told) but not a lot of birds and no deer surprised by us. The pond is hopping with signs of fish biting, BIGTIME! Yay! :)

Setting the pole, backpack, beer (of course) on some rocks to start baiting the hook with nightcrawlers (someday I will have a worm bed next to the compost pile..someday..), back turned to the pond, I hear a SPLASH!!!

A BIG splash from a super huge fish! "Oh you're just taunting me.." Oh yes..it's on...

Back turned...ANOTHER big splash! What the heck?! Turtles high diving off of the dead sticks sticking out of the water? I start thinking about the large shadow in the water I had seen the week or so before and jokingly thought it might be a croccadile. It's been known to have them show up in ponds in Oklahoma. No...couldn't be a croccadile.. most likely not..

Then finally facing the pond while finishing the baiting of the hook, it happened.. Big splash out of nowhere..nothing leaped out of the water and I saw something floating on the surface..with two eyes looking at me.. One eye blinked so I knew it wasn't a turtle. It floated a long body of a shadow behind it so I was watching its every move ..Daisy oblivious to everything while she darted through the trees..

Then I saw the beaver flip its tail in obvious warning to me, with a conviction he would stand his ground and defend his pond. Once we made eye contact he swam around, watching as I fished, caught 4 perch today, he didn't bother me and I didn't bother him. He swam like an otter but didn't do anymore tail slapping warnings on the water. He just hung out, keeping an eye on me..

We've seen signs of beaver dropping trees around the pond. Usually they don't take more than they need to make a house. I'm sure the ecosystem of a beaver contributes to the health of the pond so I never thought about drawing my gun on it. I've even named him "Braveheart". He seemed to be more worried about me harming the pond (or HIS pond anyway) so I think he's earned a right as the caretaker. I do need to talk to Amber and Camaron about letting this caretaker stay with a reprieve long enough to prove himself as a worthy guardian of the Big Pond. He really seems worthy...

The sun was setting low...Daisy was getting worried about the darkness coming on.. curled up by the fishing tackle ready to go home so we packed up. I stopped at the edge of the pond, looked at the beaver that was still floating...watching me closely. I sent a protective prayer to him and asked Spirit to watch over him and goodbye..

As I turned away he slapped the water loudly with his tail and was off...

me too... ;)






No comments:

Post a Comment