Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Walk in the woods






























Yesterday after work I decided it was time to get out and check on Bambi who is still visiting the neighbors herd. It's been very empty around here not seeing her stand by the fence mooing for "cow candy" (alfalfa pellets), or finding Darla nuzzling and grooming her at odd times of the day. So Darla and I went on a quest to go visit our baby.

The couldn't have been better for a walk. Warm and sunny, all the signs of Fall coming with a hint of summer not wanting to let go. Darla jumped and ran as soon as I said, "Let's go find Bambi!" Amazing how those words get her nose set to the ground, immediately looking for Bambi's scent as she leads the way. She needs no direction from me, already on the path to the fence that leads to Joe Flowers' place. She's in heaven when she goes walking with me. Right off spooking off a deer near the closest pond that ran too fast for me to get my camera out. The deer tracks show how busy they are, instinctively knowing this is a somewhat "safe" zone now that deer hunting season has started.

Rabbits and squirrels deftly run out of her reach as we press on to the fence, the breeze blowing leaves out of the trees like random spirits floating by, landing on and all around me. Climbing through the barb wire fence with the skill of a seasoned country girl we make our way down the trail, past Mr. Flowers pond. Out alone I'm wondering why I didn't think to bring my gun in case I ran into renegade hunters prowling the woods, but I have Darla. But a pitt bull is intimidating enough even if she's a big baby.

We walked over the last hill and saw cows, no Bambi at first but then there she was. Contentedly grazing in the middle of the herd. I called Bambi and her head jerked up looking at me right away. Darla ran towards her but stayed back a bit sensing the nervousness of the herd. Bambi seemed to think a little, then walked over to me, the rest of the herd protectively around her. I stayed near a fence post (small cover in case the other cows decided to show some aggressiveness to intruders) and she came right up to me, nuzzling her head against me enjoying getting scratched, hugged and loved just like always. Being every bit of 500 lbs (and fatter it seems since she's been visiting) it seems so odd for such a big animal to act like such a loving and gentle baby as if she were still small enough for me to bottle feed. We spent a little time nuzzling like that then I tried calling her as I walked back to my own pasture. She watched me go, turning to look at the other cows (she is the one on the left of the cows, black with white markings on her face) then looking back at me. The other cows surrounded her and she rubbed her head almost lovingly against one of the momma cows, which also nuzzled her back.

I have heard of elephant herds "elepahant-napping" a calf from a nearby elephant herd, as well as that herd rallying together to "elephant-nap" it back. This seems to be a completely willing runaway that has been adopted eagerly by the herd. It's going to be a tricky one "cow-napping" her back. Re-programming might even be involved. Surely with Darla's help, we'll remind her of where she really lives. But for the time being I've no choice but to let her stay a little while. She'll be pregnant for sure when she does come home.

So, Darla and I reluctantly walked back home alone. Watched a hawk fly in circles above, made my way back over the barbed wire fence, looked closely at the changing leaves, deer, raccoon and rabbit tracks. I thought about how this Thanksgiving will be my first Thanksgiving without the kids. Amber has politely invited me to her boyfriends families' Thanksgiving dinner but I'm not sure yet. Most likely I will though. The hardest part of a mom's job is to let your babies go off and do their own thing. How else do they grow?

Bambi's last ditch effort to stay off the leash was to try and out swim the ducks. She would have won had I not stopped her. But the chase is so much fun!

Well, off to work again. Rain is coming tonight and the firewood needs to be stocked up before i go. Hope everyone has a wonderful day!
Sandy

4 comments:

  1. Typo- I meant "Darla's last ditch effort to stay off the leash"...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie photos, particularly of the autumn leaves.

    Autumn here too, of course and you've put me in the mood for a donner...have been spending too much time on-line looking for jobs ( which is a bit of a pain at times ) and it's all too easy to become distracted.

    A walk in the cool, fresh air always does the world of good...life's just too short to hang around missing out on it all, eh?

    Glad Bambi's safe and well and at least you're able to walk over and visit regularly.

    Take care and enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Fi! Yes, a good walk through the woods, or even a park is enough to recharge. It's going to be a long winter for sure so getting out while you can now might offset the winter blues later on. I used to find lots of hawk and owl feathers but not many lately. Sometimes the random turtle shell and yesterday I stuffed my pockets with pecans to check this years crop. Some years are just not worth gathering but about every 7 years or so the summer weather makes an almost perfect harvest. They'll be there for Bambi to graze on when she gets back if I don't get to that. Hope you get out walking soon and may all good jobs come your way! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't really mind Winter, though I guess I'm lucky in that I never suffer 'the blues' for any length of time..I know folks who do though, 'specially during those dark, colder days.
    Got a few applications on the go now, so I'm sure something will turn up soon, though I'll be keeping looking.

    Sounds like a lotta organising going on over there caring for all those animals...certainly more than enough to keep busy with, and you obviously love those babies of yours a lot.

    Rainy here on and off, but ready to get out and about for an hour or so, before job hunting again.

    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete