Monday, January 18, 2010

A New Day

This is the sight I awoke to this morning.

Armed with a cup of coffee, camera, having the first smoke of the day the sun rose to absolute brilliance. As if on cue, the birds came alive. A small group of ducks flew over on their way to the lake or one of the ponds. It was quiet and subtle at first, a few here and there. Then the roosters made some pathetic attempts at crowing, crows around the pasture topping them with more well seasoned calls.

As the sun lit up the world, more birds of all kinds, going many different directions filled the sounds of the morning like a symphony that had a slow start then surprised the audience with a powerful sound that made a person want to dance. Cardinals brought their bright reds that turned the scene into a living painting one could just listen and watch for hours.

Yesterday I saw a bird flying overhead that was too big to be a hawk and had the characteristics of an eagle. It had to be one. This is the time of year they migrate through so it's not out of the ordinary. Just not so ordinary to fly over my head just as my company was finally leaving. Surely that was a sign from the Universe that all is well.

A hawk that must be nesting nearby has not been shy with its presence either. I've gotten used to seeing it perched on an oak limb, unperturbed by Bambi or the commotion around the place, as if it feels quite at home regardless.

My house is quiet once again and I'm off to work in a while. Darla will settle in the barn with her puppies since it's warming up again then I can finally get some sleep. Amber and I are scoping out where the vegetable garden will go.

I'm really looking forward to whatever this year brings. At least I know today will be a very good day. Hope yours is as wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment