Friday, January 22, 2010

A Nice Night

Hard to see but that is my view of the Big Dipper tonight. Coming home after a long days work (and it was longer than necessary) was a peaceful, quiet house. Darkness only accentuated the stars and the half moon shining through the bare trees of winter.

Streaks of clouds were flying across the sky preceding the incoming storm but there's a window of clearness at the moment. The half moon shines through the bare trees of winter, surrounded by a million stars. It's beautiful. I wish you were here to see it all, feel the breeze turning into gusts that have dropped from springlike temperatures to the tell-tale cold that says we're still in winter. (Must've dropped ten degrees since I've been home.)

The wind chimes were blowing wildly when I heard the sounds of a flock of geese honking. I held the chimes still to hear better but there was no doubt. Their distinct honking, not a big flock, but big enough to be sounding the alarm of a storm coming, warning all who could hear that whatever is coming was worth flying in the dark to outrun. It really is a sound I haven't heard often, geese flying at night, frantic at that. In the daytime when there's no distress and they're flying low enough you can hear the brushes of strong wings in the air, working powerfully enough to carry such a large bird. When 20-30 of them fly low over your head, those wings create the most beautiful sound.

Then coyotes started off in the distance. The moon being half full brings them out. They'll only get more active each night as the moon gets more full. And judging by the sounds of them Darla's not the only one with puppies.

Darla met me on the porch tonight and ran right in the house (well, kitchen...she has ulterior motives) and spun around happy to see me. She really does miss our company and acts like she's happy to have someone to catch up on things at the end of the day. (And she likes sharing dinner with me too. That seems to be our "thing" now.) Half of the puppies have their eyes open and are doing fine in the barn. Bambi is staying close by and mooed at me and nuzzled me good this morning. The ducks were hanging close to the chicken coop instead of sleeping at the pond (I guess they're anticipating a big storm too.)

I'll be heading for bed soon, one more long day at work tomorrow before one day off. Maybe just one more look at the stars while I have just one more smoke for the day. Maybe I'll see a shooting star....

Have a great night :)

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete