Friday, April 2, 2010

Signs of Spring

Something about the blooming of things in the spring, flocks of geese heading back north, grass growing again to feed the spoiled cow...shows that good times are ahead.

Bulbs planted years ago, even though it doesn't seem that long ago, promise their loyalty to bring the cheer that was hoped to come back year after year. Those plants have a seemingly endless resilience to cheer the place up at just the right times. The flowering trees come out in brilliance just ahead of the ground cover that will seem to be a menace in days to come.

Oh how this winter has seemed to be rough! No landmark ice storms or truly record breaking catastrophes to speak of, but it has been a wearing down of the soul. At times. But not completely breaking of the spirit. It is survivable.

I guess some years are harder than others and of course, it can always be worse. There's always a story of someone worse off than yourself and self pity is a pool that drowning in is of your own accord. So I'll not do that. That's too easy of a pattern to settle into and detrimental to one's own peace of mind and well being.

But Spring (and Fall) are my favorite times of year. The new growth, blooming flowers after the dormancy of a long cold winter is so refreshing. Yesterday I pulled over on the side of the road to pick some wild daffodils. A couple of cars passed by and caught me at it but I really needed to have some fresh flowers in a vase in my house. The smells of things blooming, the air warming up enough to open windows, was too much of a temptation to pass up. I love spring!

I'm off to bed. Been sleeping and resting a lot getting over this but the nice weather is helping.

Hope ya'll have a nice day!

Sandy





No comments:

Post a Comment